Some countries’ government take extra efforts to prevent the user to visit some websites for various security reasons, and hence they tend to block those websites by censorship. Some institutions and public organizations also do so to maintain decorum and the purpose of the place. Mainly government does this for restricting media to campaign against them and also for avoiding torrenting and pirating. The various IPCC carry out this blocking as ordered by the government.
These restrictions and bans over websites are always annoying and sometimes prove to be a hindrance to a good purpose too. And the governments are not stopping, its now censoring content more than ever. But there is always a way; you can read out the 14 different ways explained with steps below to bypass the censorship and to access the blocked sites. These don’t include anything that’s way over the line or not possible; these ways are really easy to use, safe and very effective.
Different Methods to unblock the Websites:
1. Using VPN:
VPN short for Virtual Proxy Network is considered as the best option for accessing blocked websites from any public network. It hides your online data by converting it into garbage value, and that’s difficult for anyone to recognize, hence making the public activity private and untraceable. VPN uses advanced tunneling and encryption to do so.
You can find many VPN service providers online to get an uninterrupted internet experience. Unfortunately, some countries are cracking down the VPNs to stop its use but no doubt it’s the best solution for unblocking websites available today.
Some great VPN package providers are:
- PIA (Private Internet Access)
Below we have shown necessary steps to follow for installing and using NordVPN in your device:
- Search for NordVPN in your browser. Go to the first link, and you will find the below-shown page.
- You will be able to see the various plans; once you select one, you will need to log in using any user ID and password and remember the same.
- Now after logging in you will have to pay for the plan, and click on download now for successful download of the VPN service provider.
- Once you see that the download is completed, open the software and log in using the same user ID and password, you were asked to remember. Inside the software, you will find a map of servers, and in settings, you will find different options as shown.
- You can choose among all the servers named on the respective countries and listed alphabetically. You can even search a country and see all the different servers options available in that country as done below for France.
- After choosing the server, you will see that it’s connected now by the green pin. Now you can enjoy using any website that was unavailable previously.
2. Using Google Translate in any browser:
Google Translate is an education tool, many public networks don’t consider it something powerful enough to unblock sites. So, how do you use it? You can simply paste the URL in the Google translate and bypass the restriction by converting it into some other language that you know. It seems by far the simplest way to access blocked websites.
Well here we discussed Google translate, but there are other translation services available, like Microsoft Bing translation, that you can also use to unblock a website.
Below are the steps showing the use of Google translate for unblocking a site :
- Copy the URL of the site you can’t visit and open Google translate in your browser.
- Paste the copied link on one side.
- Choose a known language but different than the website’s language and translate.
- You can now browse the website as you can see below freely.
3. Using Tor browser:
Tor is software that enables free anonymous communication, makes it impossible to trace the user’s activity by directing Internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer overlay network consisting of more than seven thousand relays, concealing a user’s location and usage from anyone conducting network surveillance or traffic analysis. Tor browser can act as a web blocker bypass tool which if used properly can unblock websites at school or office anonymously. Hence you can do what’s denied and won’t be caught for it that’s a dual advantage. After VPN and proxies, Tor browser has proved to be the most powerful method to unblock websites.
4. Ping the website:
You can use the blocked websites IP instead of the URL, as you must know that each website’s URL has an IP address associated with it and the authorities or IPSs blocking the site might have just blocked the URL instead of the IP. In that case, the struggle to unblock websites might end here. As there is a way to get the IP address for any website, what you need to do is, you open Command Prompt and write “ping (URL)” command in it.
This method proves to be simple, until the IP of the website is free, if they have blocked the IP too you can’t use this method.
Below are the steps showing how you can ping a website:
- Find and go to Command Prompt, right click on it and from the pop-up window select “Run as administrator” on your computer.
- Once “Run as administrator” is selected, the below window will come on the screen.
- In the Command Prompt window, type “ping www.websitename.com” and press Enter. You will get a list of different IPs which you can use.
- Now copy this IP address in your web browser’s address bar in place of the URL and hit Enter to visit the denier website.
- Similarly, you can use this, to unblock sites on other browsers and platforms like Mac, Linux, Android, etc.
5. By changing the proxy settings of your browser:
While some websites are blocked in one proxy, they are not in other. Not every site is restricted on every proxy; it’s not possible to do so. Also, every public college or institute provide more than one proxy for its network. Hence, you can change or use another proxy or just disable it to access blocked websites.
For any web browser, you will need to find the connections or network option in the settings of your web browser; this isn’t a tough task. Once the window pops up, you can select the no proxy option or use another one until you can browse without restriction.
Below we have shown how you can change the settings in the Firefox browser:
- Find and go to the menu button (the three horizontal lines at the right-hand side) and then from the drop-down menu choose Options.
- Now go to the General panel, find or search Network Proxy section.
- Click on Settings in the right, at once the Connection Settings dialog will open
- Different proxy configuring options you will get and choose any one of them:
- No proxy: if you choose this, the browser will run with no proxy, i.e. it won’t be using any proxy.
- Next option is“Auto-detect proxy settings for this network”: if you choose this, Firefox will automatically detect the proxy settings for your network.
- Use system proxy settings: if you choose this, the proxy settings will be configured for your operating system.
- Manual proxy configuration: if you choose this option, you have a list of one or more proxy servers. You can ask your administrator about this; they will provide you with a lot of proxies, each proxy will require a hostname and a port number.
You get an option “Use this proxy server for all protocols” if you want the same proxy and port number are used for all protocols.
No proxy for this option allows hostnames or IP addresses not to be proxied.
- Automatic proxy configuration URL: if you have a proxy configuration file, choose this. Enter the URL of the website, click okay to save changes and load the proxy configuration.
- Reload: this is for automatic loading of the proxy configuration that is available currently.
6. Recasting the URL:
A simple thing you can do before trying any of the other methods in the article, you can simply type https://www.url.com in your web browser, instead of www.url.com or http://www.url.com and try accessing it. This might work and open the page for you or display a security notice. You can go with the Proceed Anyway option and visit the website. This happens because sometimes a particular website is hosted in VPN and doesn’t have a verified SSL installed which makes recasting work.
7. Using extensions:
You can just bypass censorship by using extensions like Hola, ProxMate, Hoxx, Browse for Firefox if the websites that are blocked are dynamic such as Facebook, YouTube or Netflix. The above-written examples are some extensions that you can give a try to access blocked websites on Chrome and other browsers. Some powerful extensions are there to defeat firewalls out there like Lightspeed; one such effective extension is UltraSurf, it lets you browse freely using its encrypted proxy network.
Below are the steps to add and use an extension like Hola for accessing denied websites:
- Go to the menu button (three dots) on the left side of your browser. Go to “More tools” and then “Extensions”.
- Now on the window find and go to “Get more extensions”.
- Once you enter the extension store, on the left you will find a search bar; here you can search any type of extension you want to pin to your Brower.
- On the search bar, search for Hola VPN.
- Once you have found the extension; on the right-hand side, click on the option saying “Add to Chrome”. And click OK for adding.
- Once it says added, you can now be able to see the tab on the right, click on it, the hola window will pop up.
- Touch the switch on button. You will see a window with all the running websites and respective country names.
- Check for the country, on which the website is not blocked and hence will run.
- Replacing DNS Server:
You can see videos on this method online; it’s very simple to remove the blockade. The process is vast but easy involving the use of Google DNS/OpenDNS for accessing the internet.
You have got CloudFlare also, which recently launched their 220.127.116.11 DNS service which is crowned to be the fastest, privacy-focused DNS service. Check out the detailed steps online.
With default settings, your internet service provider and the WiFi networks you get connected to will get the lists of sites you have visited, but with DNS, you can also get the surety of better speed and privacy while browsing a site.
9. Using Wayback Machine:
Wayback Machine is an internet archive of the World Wide Web and other information on the Internet meaning it stores a copy of all websites; launched in 2001 by the Internet Archive. It is an interesting digital archive mainly saves the versions of the website at different times which you can use it to access the past versions of a website. You can also use it to browse the blocked content which was not blocked before online, so, you can get services and websites back which were stopped, this amazing website has got all of it stored along with lots of free movies, documentaries, nostalgic games, ebooks, etc.
Below are the steps to use the internet archive Wayback Machine:
- Search for Wayback Machine in your browser.
- Click on the first link; the website will open and look something like this. Search for the blocked website in the search bar and click on browse history
- A calendar with all the history will come in front of you, you will need to choose a date and you good to surf.
10. Using RSS feed of a site:
RSS is a type of web-feed, which allows you to access updates to online content in a standardised, computer-readable format. RSS readers are useful for getting the content and news feed of a website online and read it. If the website lacks the feed, you can use some other website to get the feed. You can use RSS readers like Feedly and get all the fresh content delivered from your trusted sources.
In recent times, with the rise of fake news on social media platforms, RSS readers are making a comeback.
11. Using Proxy Websites:
In situations, when you got to visit a site for work or educational purposes, proxy websites act as a rescue method. It’s not as secure as VPN but can serve the purpose easily. There are hundreds of proxy websites available on the web to becomes a moderator between the user and server site for avoiding any restrictions. Some of them are:
You can simply follow these steps to use a proxy website and browse :
- Search for the website on your browser and open it.
- Go to the “Web proxy” option.
- On the search bar type the web address you want to access and search.
- You can see that the website will easily open.
12. Using Firefox from USB drive:
A public institution or organization, even a while country sometimes take steps to restrict site access, sometimes you are not even allowed to install extensions on the web browser to open the websites for your personal use and choice. In that case, the easiest thing you can do, is you can install a web browser like Firefox. Firefox is usually portable on a USB drive. So the combination of Firefox and a proxy website providing an unblock proxy service can get you the unrestricted experience you want.
13. Using manual proxy:
Like proxy websites, you can also get proxy manually using the same websites, and use these proxies and port addresses for accessing the blocked sites, follow the steps to do so :
- Go to https://www.hidemyass.com/, find and select IP: Port proxies.
- A list of proxies and port addresses will appear in your screen, just select one and copy it.
- Open you Networks and Internet, go to Internet options.
- Go to connections and then go to Lan settings.
- Paste the copied proxy and port address, and you are good to go.
14. Using an HTML to PDF converter:
Websites like Soda PDF, pdfmyurl, webpage2pdf, etc.converts the full webpage from HTML to a PDF. Also, these are online services that can help you directly download a web page for free on your computer without even accessing it. For this, you will need to visit the website and enter the URL of the site you want to visit, and that’s it.
- To convert your website in HTML, enter the website URL in the appropriate box. Make sure to insert the full URL, including http:// or https://.
- After converting from HTML to PDF, view your new PDF document by downloading it to your computer and viewing it in your browser.
There are no barriers, this we just learned. You can visit any blocked websites by using any of the options above suited to your browser and device. Still, you should remember that sometimes there are stiff reasons for blocking the access to a website, including distractions of employees, students from their work and countries blocking certain content from citizens. Until and unless it bothers you, you should try to appreciate the hindrance. If it’s becoming a problem, you can anytime use the recommended solutions to unblock the websites.